Sale on canvas prints! Use code HGPEYZ at checkout for a 20% special discount!
A collection of images of the old brickworks on the west bank of the Congaree River, in Cayce, SC. Also included are images related to the brickworks, along with various points of interest in Cayce. From Wikipedia... "Guignard Brick Works is a historic industrial site and national historic district located in Cayce, Lexington County, South Carolina. The brick works was established by the Guignard family in 1801 and over the years produced brick for many buildings in Columbia, South Carolina and throughout the South. The complex includes four brick beehive kilns, a historic brick office, and remnants of other industrial features of the brick works. Three of the four remaining kilns were built around 1920, the other was built in 1932. Clay for brickmaking was obtained from banks of the nearby Congaree River. From the SC Picture Project... "The Guignard Brick Works is significant as an example of an early-twentieth century industrial complex, one which produced bricks for many buildings constructed in Columbia and throughout South Carolina from ca. 1900 through the mid-twentieth century, and for its association with the Guignard family, prominent in local business and civic affairs throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The complex is also significant as an excellent surviving example of a beehive or circular downdraft brick kiln, an important method of construction in brickmaking facilities from the nineteenth century well into the twentieth century. The Guignard Brick Works complex includes four brick beehive kilns, a historic brick office, and remnants of other industrial features of the brick works. Three of the four kilns were built ca. 1920. The fourth was built ca. 1932 to replace one that burned in 1932. A one-story hip roof office building, ca. 1900, stands west of the kilns. Though the extant complex dates from the first half of the twentieth century, the Guignard family began producing bricks on or near this site as early as 1801, utilizing the rich clay deposits on the banks of the Congaree River. The Guignard Brick Works flourished and expanded its operations with the building boom in Columbia which began in the late 1890s and was in full swing by 1900. The evolution of the brick works over more than one hundred years of operation at this site, in a process in which the fuels and methods for firing brick changed from wood to coal to gas, may be further illustrated by examination and interpretation of the standing structures and extant above ground features. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995." Description of the RR trestles depicted in this collection; Between 1842 and 1920, Columbia was the railroad hub, and Gervais Street was the focal point of rail transport. South of the Blossom Street Bridge, Norfolk / Southern and CSX rail lines cross the Congaree River, connecting Columbia and Cayce. The Norfolk / Southern bridge (MP R-109.6), is the first one downstream from the Blossom Street Bridge. It was built in 1902 and was renovated in 2000. It is about 1,200 feet long. The second RR bridge, which is farther down river, is managed by the CSX rail line. Its name stands for “Chessie, Seaboard and many times more”, which represents many early mergers. Built in 1947, the current bridge, CSX S-361.90, is 896 feet long. CSX’s predecessor, Seaboard Air Line Railway, built the concrete piers beneath the bridge in 1900. The piers are built on wooden pilings.
Results: 73Filters (1)
Round Beach Towels
Weekender Tote Bags
Portable Batteries Chargers